Friday, February 25, 2005

Place Making

Attended an AIA meeting this week about Fort Worth's Trinity Uptown project. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it is a redevelopment of the north side of downtown Fort Worth. An enormous project which will potentially keep local architects busy for quite a while. You can see what''s happening at www.trinityrivervision.org.

I have thought for many years about the meaning of place and the meaning of 'making place'. This is essentially what architects do, they create 'place'. I don't know what the Trinity Uptown project will become but i do know what i hope it does not become. I can't explain my ideas in full without boring everyone who reads this blog to death but i will say this, i hope that it does not become a fabricated idealism. By this i mean that i hope it doesn't get built up to look like a particular thing or style. This would be a mistake that lasts generations.

I'll conclude this with an old poem I wrote many dreams ago:


Blushing
1991

covered
tight
in
certain
colors
me
red
with
naked
smile

No comments: